Ann Wiles is an experienced government enforcement and litigation attorney whose practice encompasses the full lifecycle of legal issues, including internal investigations, examinations, risk assessments, and appellate cases.
As Counsel in the Washington, DC office of Buckley Sandler LLP, Ms. Wiles brings a wealth of experience to her clients from her extensive work in federal, state, and international courts. She also represents clients before numerous regulatory agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), federal and state banking regulators, and state attorneys general.
Notable work includes:
- Representing institutions in a variety of investigations and examinations before numerous regulators, including the CFPB, the New York Attorney General, and the New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS)
- Defending financial institutions against claims brought by municipalities under the Fair Housing Act (FHA)
- Assisting institutions in referrals from banking regulators to the Department of Justice related to allegations of discrimination, including redlining and pricing discrimination
- Defending financial institutions in class actions brought under Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), state Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices (UDAP) laws, the False Claims Act (FCA), and Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA)
- Assisting clients in conducting risk analyses of credit and servicing practices based on recent supervision and enforcement activity
- Assisting individual clients in a foreign criminal prosecution for alleged privacy violations, from trial through appeal over a five-year period, resulting in full acquittals before the Italian Supreme Court
Prior to joining Buckley Sandler in 2010, Ms. Wiles was an Associate in the Government Enforcement practice group at Ropes & Gray. Ms. Wiles received her J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School in 2006, where she was an Associate Editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review. She received a B.S. with honors from the University of Florida in 2003.
Michelle Rogers and Ann Wiles spoke about mortgage servicing at the Loan Protector Client Conference on Monday, August 29, 2016. Click here to learn more about the event .Speaking Engagement
Buckley Sandler’s Representation Noted in Law360 Article, “HSBC Says High Court Ruling Ends Predatory-Lending Suit”
Buckley Sandler’s representation was noted in an August 8, 2017 Law360 article, “HSBC Says High Court Ruling Ends Predatory-Lending Suit.” The article discussed HSBC’s request to dismiss a suit in which the company could be held accountable for discriminatory lending in Cook County Illinois, saying...In The News
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. We are proud...In The News
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. We are proud...Press Releases
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. In 2014,...In The News
Buckley Sandler was named as a Consumer Protection Practice of the Year by Law360 . With pressure on the consumer financial industry on the rise, Buckley Sandler LLP has solidified its position in the field as a nimble, smaller firm that delivers BigLaw results, earning itself the distinction as...In The News
WASHINGTON, DC--(Jan 8, 2014) - Buckley Sandler LLP , a leading financial services and criminal & civil enforcement defense law firm, announced today that Heidi M. Bauer , Bradley A. Marcus , and Ann D. Wiles , all resident in the firm's Washington, DC office, have been promoted to Counsel,...In The News
Andrew L. Sandler, Michelle L. Rogers, and Ann D. Wiles Authored a Law360 Article, "The Rise Of The Consumer"
The financial crisis had a profound impact on the regulatory structure applicable to the financial services industry and the consumer experience when purchasing financial products and services. The prudential regulation model whereby regulators worked with financial institutions to ensure safe and...Articles
In the five years since the financial crisis began, critics have argued that regulators aren’t doing enough to hold individual actors accountable for their conduct leading up to the crisis. These critics, however, may soon be appeased, with regulators promising to name names and hold individuals...Articles
Banks and non-bank lenders face a variety of fair lending disparate impact claims, which allege unintentional and unfavorable disparate impacts of otherwise neutral policies or practices on minority borrowers. Regulators, consumer groups and the mortgage industry have long debated whether disparate...Articles
“Why aren’t we holding the individuals responsible for the financial crisis accountable?” It is a question that has been repeated so many times over the last five years that no one seems to expect an answer. But the question was raised again recently by Benjamin Lawsky, head of the New York State...Articles
As the government becomes increasingly aggressive in its efforts to fight financial fraud, companies naturally are looking for new ways to avoid becoming the next target. In the last two years, the Department of Justice (‘‘DOJ’’) has filed lawsuits seeking billions of dollars in damages from...Articles
In the wake of the financial crisis, the United States has continued to pursue major civil enforcement litigation with increasingly aggressive theories of liability against financial institutions. Now, with its sixth lawsuit against a major financial institution in less than two years, the U.S...Articles
Awards & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Business Litigation
- Super Lawyers 2015 Rising Star: Business Litigation
- Super Lawyers 2014 Rising Star: Business Litigation
- J.D., Vanderbilt University, 2006
- B.S., University of Florida, 2003
- District of Columbia