Heidi Bauer assists clients identify operational goals in the areas of commercial, consumer, and residential mortgage lending and servicing, providing strategic advice for securing nationwide federal and state approvals.
As Counsel in the Washington, DC office of Buckley Sandler LLP, Ms. Bauer represents mortgage lenders and servicers, banks, consumer finance companies, fintech companies, money transmitters, securities broker-dealers, and private equity firms and other financial sponsors of such entities with regulatory, compliance, licensing, and transactional matters.
She assists clients with matters before state regulatory agencies, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). In addition, Ms. Bauer advises financial and strategic purchasers of financial services firms and assets on regulatory matters, including due diligence of target companies and transactional structuring in light of federal and state licensing and regulatory requirements, as well as assisting them to secure regulatory approvals for transactions.
Ms. Bauer’s recent representative matters include:
- Serving as lead regulatory counsel and project manager for consolidation of nationwide mortgage lending and mortgage servicing operating entities|
- Providing regulatory analyses regarding application of state and federal laws to issues involving default servicing activities
- Advising private equity firms on the startup of, and performing regulatory due diligence regarding the acquisition of, consumer financial services companies
- Overseeing development of an offshore third-party loan fulfillment program and advising on regulatory and licensing issues associated with same
- Providing licensing and regulatory guidance in connection with the formation and operation of a commercial lending business
- Assisting new entrants, as well as ongoing businesses, in structuring operations to minimize regulatory burdens and seize on market opportunities in the mortgage industry
Ms. Bauer received her J.D. from American University and her B.A. from Miami University.
Heidi M. Bauer discussed “SAFE ACT Training” at the National Association of Federal Credit Unions on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 in Arlington, VA.Speaking Engagement
Heidi M. Bauer will discuss “Communication Trends in the Financial Services Industry” at the NMLS 2017 Annual Conference on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 in Austin, TX.Speaking Engagement
Buckley Sandler was named as a Consumer Protection Practice of the Year by Law360 . With pressure on the consumer financial industry on the rise, Buckley Sandler LLP has solidified its position in the field as a nimble, smaller firm that delivers BigLaw results, earning itself the distinction as...In The News
WASHINGTON, DC--(Jan 8, 2014) - Buckley Sandler LLP, a leading financial services and criminal & civil enforcement defense law firm, announced today that Heidi M. Bauer and Bradley A. Marcus, all resident in the firm's Washington, DC office, have been promoted to Counsel, effective January 1,...In The News
On June 23, the Maryland Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court judgment holding that a non-bank entity assisting consumers obtain loans from an out-of-state bank and then repurchasing those loans days later qualifies as a “credit service business” under the Maryland Credit Services Business Act (...Articles