Katherine Katz is Counsel in the Washington, DC office of Buckley Sandler LLP. Ms. Katz represents financial industry clients in a wide range of litigation, regulatory compliance, and corporate matters relating to mortgage lending and mortgage servicing activities, including government enforcement actions, regulatory examinations, qui tam cases, due diligence reviews, and internal risk assessments. She has represented clients in matters involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Department of Justice (DOJ), Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA).
Ms. Katz’s representative matters include the following:
- False Claims Act (FCA) and Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) investigations by the DOJ and HUD’s Office of Inspector General concerning the origination of loans insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- Defending FCA qui tam case concerning origination of FHA-insured loans
- Risk assessments of mortgage lenders and mortgage servicers for compliance with federal consumer financial protection laws, regulatory guidance, and investor requirements, including requirements of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Due diligence reviews of mortgage servicers and subservicers
- Advising clients on a wide range of compliance matters, including fair lending, complaint management, and internal quality control programs
In addition, Ms. Katz also has an active pro bono practice. She has appeared in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the Superior Court of the District of Columbia on behalf of indigent clients.
Ms. Katz received her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 2010. During law school, she served on the William Minor Lile Moot Court Board and the Editorial Board of the Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law. Ms. Katz received a B.A. from Wake Forest University in 2005. She is conversational in Spanish.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Jan. 17, 2018) – Buckley Sandler LLP today announced the promotion of six associates in three of its offices to counsel, effective Jan. 1, 2018. “These six attorneys have worked diligently on behalf of our clients and are well deserving of promotion to counsel, “ said Andrew L...Press Releases