Kathryn “Katy” Ryan advises consumer financial services companies on a variety of regulatory, licensing, compliance, and transactional matters, including federal and state compliance requirements, Secure and Fair Enforcement (S.A.F.E.) Act compliance, Federal Housing Administration (FHA) compliance, and the risks associated with the False Claims Act (FCA) and Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA).
A Partner in Buckley Sandler’s Washington, DC office, Ms. Ryan represents banks, first and second mortgage originators and servicers, reverse mortgage originators and servicers, fulfillment service providers, commercial lenders and servicers, bank holding companies, private equity firms, finance companies, debt collection companies, and various related service providers. She assists clients with matters before state regulatory agencies, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), federal banking agencies, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac. She also provides strategic and tactical advice to help clients identify and secure the nationwide federal and state approvals necessary to achieve operational goals.
Representative matters include:
- Advising a state-chartered bank and nationwide nondepository mortgage lender with respect to state licensing and regulatory issues, including Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) management issues, Mortgage Call Report (MCR) filings, annual renewals, ongoing licensing maintenance issues, and various S.A.F.E. Act requirements
- Acting as lead regulatory counsel and project manager for a multinational investment management firm in connection with the stock acquisition of a nationwide licensed nondepository mortgage lender, as well as an asset acquisition of a direct to consumer mortgage origination platform
- Performing a risk audit of nationwide mortgage lender operations for compliance with FHA regulations
- Advising a nationwide state licensed mortgage lender on CFPB enforcement matters, including CFPB exam preparation, as well as state examination and enforcement matters
- Advised banks, reverse mortgage lenders and servicers, and nondepository mortgage lenders and servicers with respect to FCA and FIRREA investigations by the DOJ, various U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, HUD, and the Federal Housing Finance Agency FHFA concerning compliance with the FHA Direct Endorsement Lender program guidelines and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac origination and servicing guidelines
Ms. Ryan received her J.D. from Catholic University and her B.A. from the University of Virginia.
Katy Ryan discussed "Are You Compliant With FHA and VA Lending" at the NMLS 2017 Annual Conference in Austin, TX, on Wednesday, February 15, 2017. Click here to learn more about the event.Speaking Engagement
Katy Ryan spoke at the 2017 RegList Workshop - Winter Edition in San Diego, CA, on Thursday, February 2, 2017. Click here to learn more about the event.Speaking Engagement
Katy Ryan and Joshua Kotin discussed "Trends in CFPB Mortgage Examinations & Handling the Exam" at the 2017 RegList Workshop - Winter Edition in San Diego, CA, on Thursday, February 2, 2017. Click here to learn more about the event .Speaking Engagement
The Federal Housing Administration’s (FHA) annual recertification deadline is around the corner and the certification language is new. Are you ready? Join a guest speaker from FHA’s Lender Approval and Recertification Division, and Buckley Sandler partners Michelle Rogers , Melissa Klimkiewicz ,...Webcast
Katy Ryan spoke at the 8th Annual NMLS Conference on Thursday, February 18, 2016 in Phoenix, AZ. Her panel was titled "Are You Compliant with FHA and VA Lending?" Click here to learn more about this event.Speaking Engagement
The Federal Housing Administration’s ("FHA") annual recertification deadline is fast approaching. Are you prepared? Join Buckley Sandler attorneys Michelle Rogers , Melissa Klimkiewicz , and Katy Ryan as they help mortgagees navigate the FHA annual recertification process. After several years of...Webcast
Kathryn Ryan spoke at the 2013 NMLS Annual Conference & Training in San Antonio, TX on February 27-28, 2013. Her session was titled, "Advance Change Notifications," and examined NMLS updates in the second quarter of 2013 meant to accommodate changes to a licensee's record resulting from change...Speaking Engagement
WASHINGTON, DC (June 10, 2016) – Buckley Sandler LLP, a premier financial services, government enforcement, and litigation law firm, has promoted Kathryn “Katy” Ryan to its partnership, effective May 1, 2016. “Katy has been a key member of our regulatory, licensing and chartering, and enforcement...In The News
Melissa Klimkiewicz, Kathryn L. Ryan, and Kathryn R. Goodman Authored a National Mortgage News Article, "State Regulators Have Their Eye on Reverse Mortgage Lenders"
The U.S. population is aging, and one of the well-established components of the American dream — buying and owning a home — appears poised to aid in the baby boomers' next phase of life. In fact, an increasing number of older Americans are expected to tap into their home equity to fund their living...Articles
On August 4, the CFPB issued its long-awaited final amendments to the mortgage servicing provisions of Regulations X and Z. The Bureau had sought comment on the proposed rule in December 2014, more than 18 months ago. Spanning 900 pages, the final rule makes significant changes that will impact...Articles
On Friday, the CFPB issued its much anticipated proposal to amend the KBYO/TRID rule. The CFPB crowded dozens of proposed changes into the almost 300 page proposal, most of which are highly technical and require careful examination. As the Bureau has signaled since its intention to issue amendments...Articles
- J.D., Catholic University, 2004
- B.A., University of Virginia, 2001
- District of Columbia
- South Carolina