Preston Burton is a highly regarded trial lawyer with more than two decades of criminal law experience, both as a defense attorney and as a federal prosecutor. A Partner in the Washington, DC office of Buckley Sandler LLP, he is an integral part the firm’s exemplary White Collar practice.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Burton has tried more than 50 criminal cases to verdict, representing individual and corporate clients in complex federal white collar criminal cases, governmental and civil proceedings, and internal investigations. He has also handled more than 10 appeals before the D.C. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, and Fourth Circuit.
His work is punctuated by numerous front-page cases, representing such high-profile clients as Monica Lewinsky, former CIA intelligence agent Aldrich H. Ames, and former FBI Special Agent Robert Hanssen. He has represented business executives and companies in areas such as public corruption investigations, criminal antitrust matters, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and export control violations, False Claims Act (FCA) cases, and procurement fraud. Many of Mr. Burton’s cases have involved cross-border investigations, including extradition requests and multi-jurisdictional enforcement actions. He has also handled congressional investigations, as well as numerous matters involving national security issues, including the representation of several intelligence agency officials and serving most recently as an amicus appointed by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.
Mr. Burton’s recent matters include:
- Serving as part of a trial team representing a former government contracting firm executive in a jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia on public corruption, conspiracy, and fraud charges where all defendants were found not guilty on all charges
- Representation of a group of current and former employees of a multi-national software company in a pending criminal fraud and national security investigation in the Eastern District of Virginia
- Representation of a Wall Street executive in a pending Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation of trading activities
Since 2010, Mr. Burton has been ranked by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in White Collar Crime & Government Investigations. He has also been recognized by Legal 500 for Corporate Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense. He joined Buckley Sandler from Poe & Burton PLLC, a boutique litigation firm he co-founded in 2011. Prior to that, he led the litigation practice of the Washington, DC office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. Following law school, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Boyce F. Martin Jr., on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia. Mr. Burton received his J.D. from the University of Virginia, and his A.B. from Duke University.
A strong trial lawyer. Very familiar with operating overseas as well as with the courts here.Chambers USA
Preston Burton Quoted in Washington Post Article, “The First Inauguration Day Protest Trial Ended in Acquittals. But More Than 150 Defendants Await Their Day in Court”
Preston Burton was quoted on December 29, 2017 in a Washington Post article, “The First Inauguration Day Protest Trial Ended in Acquittals. But More Than 150 Defendants Await Their Day in Court,” which discussed the trial of six Inauguration Day protesters and the acquittals that followed. The...In The News
Buckley Sandler Recognized by Chambers USA as an “Exceptional” Financial Services Regulation and White Collar Firm
Buckley Sandler has continued to receive top recognition in the areas of financial services regulation and white collar crime/government investigations from Chambers USA , which ranks the country’s leading firms and lawyers in a range of practice areas based on in-depth client interviews and peer...In The News
Buckley Sandler is pleased to announce that 11 of its partners have been recognized by their peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 201 8. Partners Andrew L. Sandler , Jeremiah S. Buckley , Preston Burton , Benjamin B. Klubes , Joseph M. Kolar , David S. Krakoff , Andrea K. Mitchell ,...In The News
Buckley Sandler has again been cited as one of the nation’s top law firms by The Legal 500 in its 2017 rankings, with the recognition of four practice areas: Financial Services: Litigation Financial Services: Regulatory Cyber Law (Data Protection and Privacy) Corporate Investigations and White...Press Releases
Preston Burton was Interviewed for Financial Times - US Anti-bribery Law Set to Remain in Place Under Trump
Preston Burton’s was quoted on December 30, 2016 in a Financial Times article regarding the future of US anti-bribery laws under president-elect Trump. The article reported, “President-elect Donald Trump once said that a landmark US anti-bribery law put American companies ‘at a huge disadvantage’...In The News
Buckley Sandler is pleased to announce that eight of its partners have been recognized by their peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2017 in nine categories, and Jeremiah Buckley has been named a Lawyer of the Year in Litigation - Banking and Finance for Washington, DC. Partners...In The News
WASHINGTON, DC (June 1, 2016) – Buckley Sandler LLP, a premier financial services, government enforcement, and litigation law firm, announced today that renowned trial and white collar criminal defense lawyer Preston Burton , has joined the firm as a Partner in its Washington, DC office, effective...In The News
Andrew L. Sandler and Preston Burton Quoted in The American Lawyer Article, "Buckley Sandler Bags High-Profile DC Litigator"
Andrew L. Sandler and Preston Burton were quoted in Scott Flaherty's The American Lawyer article, "Buckley Sandler Bags High-Profile DC Litigator," on June 1, 2016. Buckley Sandler, a fast-growing Washington, D.C.-based firm that has soared up the Am Law 200 rankings in recent years, has hired...In The News
Buckley Sandler Noted As "One of the Most Significant Consumer Finance and Banking Enforcement Firms in the US Market" By Chambers USA
Buckley Sandler has continued to receive top recognition in financial services regulation and white collar crime/government investigations from Chambers USA , which ranks leading firms and lawyers in a range of practice areas throughout the US based on in-depth client and peer research. The firm...In The News
Preston Burton, Bree Murphy, and Leslie L. Meredith Authored a Business Crimes Bulletin Article, "The Arrival of Justice Gorsuch May Bring Opportunity to Reform the Collective Entity Doctrine"
A little over 100 years ago, the Supreme Court declined to extend the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination to corporations responding to grand jury subpoenas for documents, establishing what has been termed the “collective entity doctrine.” Hale v. Henkel, 201 U.S. 43, 74-76 (1906...Articles
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2018: Criminal Defense - General Practice, Criminal Defense - White-Collar
- Legal 500 2017: Recognized in the Corporate Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense practice area
- Chambers USA 2017: Band 2, District of Columbia Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- Best Lawyers 2017: Criminal Defense - General Practice, Criminal Defense - White-Collar
- Benchmark Litigation 2017: National Litigation Star - White Collar Crime
- Benchmark Litigation 2017: Local Litigation Star - White Collar Crime, Securities
- Chambers USA 2016: Band 2, District of Columbia Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2016
- J.D., University of Virginia
- A.B., Duke University (magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia
- Law Clerk, Hon. Boyce F. Martin, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit