Thomas Dowell, an Associate at Buckley Sandler LLP, focuses much of his practice on representing bank and nonbank financial institutions in government examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions.
Mr. Dowell’s representations have included:
- Assisting numerous banks and nonbanks in responding to examination requests, civil investigative demands, and subpoenas from federal regulators relating to a wide range of subject matter areas, including mortgage lending, mortgage servicing, ancillary credit products, and student lending
- Providing regulatory advice to mortgage servicers on a variety of regulatory developments, including the 2013 Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA/Regulation X) and Truth in Lending Act (TILA/Regulation Z) Mortgage Servicing Final Rules, the National Mortgage Settlement, and the April 2011 Mortgage Servicing Consent Orders issued by the Federal Reserve Board (FRB) and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
- Handling multiple phases of e-discovery for financial institutions, including interviewing document custodians, supervising onsite document collection, training and managing document review teams, and producing documents to government regulators and third-parties
- Conducting regulatory surveys for financial institutions relating to an array of issues, including licensing requirements and fee restrictions applicable to mortgage brokers, originators, and servicers
Mr. Dowell received his J.D. from the University of Virginia, where he was the Executive Editor of the Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, and his B.A. from Tulane University in 2005 (magna cum laude).
The marketing, sale, and servicing of ancillary or “add-on” products remains an area of focus for the Consumer Protection Bureau (CFPB). CFPB scrutiny began with add-on products sold in connection with credit cards and is now expanding to other industries. Products that have drawn the attention of...Webcast
Jonice Gray Tucker, Amanda Raines, and Thomas Dowell discussed recent CFPB enforcement actions relating to add-on products during a Women in Housing in Finance event on February 12, 2013, from 12:00 - 1:30 PM. The event was hosted at Buckley Sandler's Washington, DC office.Speaking Engagement
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. We are proud...In The News
On January 17, the CFPB issued final rules amending Regulation Z (TILA) and Regulation X (RESPA) to implement certain mortgage servicing standards set forth by the Dodd-Frank Act and to address other issues identified by the CFPB. The rule amending Regulation Z includes changes to (i) periodic...Articles
Awards & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Consumer Law
- J.D., University of Virginia, 2008
- B.A., Tulane University, 2005 (magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia